Ubisoft‘s upcoming shooter, The Division 2, is only a few months from release, and while PC gaming platform, Steam, had a product page for the title, it’ll no longer be released via the service. Instead, Fortnite creator, Epic Games, will be selling the game via its online store.
The PC version of The Division 2 will be sold by both the Epic Games store and Ubisoft’s own online store. A quick search of Steam shows that the page – which allowed folks to pre-order the upcoming sequel – is no longer available. The original Division, however, is still there. If you were one of the people who did pre-order through Steam, Ubisoft will still be honouring those, so don’t sweat it.
“We entrust Epic to deliver a smooth journey for our fans, from preordering the game and enjoying our Beta to the launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on March 15,” Ubisoft’s vice president of partnerships, Chris Early, said in a press release.
“Epic continues to disrupt the videogame [sic] industry, and their third-party digital distribution model is the latest example, and something Ubisoft wants to support.”
It won’t be the last Ubisoft title to hit the new platform, either, with the pair set to partner on “additional select titles to be announced during the coming year.” On top of Epic’s small current roster of games, the company is slowly adding more, like Hades and The Walking Dead: The Final Season. It also gives away a game for free every 2 weeks, with Super Meat Boy currently on offer and What Remains of Edith Finch starting tomorrow. The extremely good Subnautica was the first free title on the platform.
Epic currently offers game developers 88 per cent of sales revenue, with the remaining 12 per cent going to the company, which is a much better deal than what Valve offers with Steam, which sees 30 per cent of revenue going to them and 70 per cent to the developer. Epic’s new venture i certainly the biggest threat to the latter, which has been the mainstay in PC gaming for more than ten years.
The Division 2 is due for release on March 15 for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.
More Stuff From PEDESTRIAN.TV
Apple Just Axed All Epic Games Products From The App Store Following *That* Fortnite Mess
The Co-Creator Of ‘Rick & Morty’ Just Squanched A New Trailer For His Game
Pretty Much Every ‘Halo’ Game Is Coming To PC This Year Via Steam
VR Game Cops Huge Increase In Sales After Being Mistaken For ‘Apex Legends’