There are some foods you expect a mild explosion from, such as the Cadbury Marvellous Creations Jelly Popping Candy Beanies — a truly marvellous treat — or popcorn doing its thing in the microwave. I would argue cheese is not one of them, for it is usually a solid food that lends itself to being melted, grated and sliced. But one woman from Perth found her cheese defied the laws of serving suggestions and exploded.
It sounds like something the king of culinary chaos Heston Blumenthal would serve at one of his restaurants but alas, the incident happened at a fondue night among friends.
Reddit user LordGodJen posted a photo of a block a cheese, a scorched knife and a tiny piece of rope to the Perth subreddit, saying she’d bought a piece of cheese from the iconic Italian delicatessen The Re Store. The Perth girls who get it, get it.
“Bought cheese from the Re store and cut into it and it exploded,” she said.
“There was a small piece of rope within the cheese.
“Burnt and broke the knife! Any idea what’s happened?”
The exploding cheese must be seen to be believed.
In cheese terms, ’tis not a gouda sight. I can only imagine the fear that would’ve come from cutting into an unassuming block of cheese and finding a small piece of rope inside. And don’t even get me started on the burnt Baccarat knife.
The people in the comments were bamboozled to say the least.
Hopefully the night wasn’t a complete fondoozy and the experience brought the ladies even closer. A bit like the Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, but with exploding cheese instead.