This weekend’s Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been postponed amid increasing concerns for the coronavirus outbreak, according to the BBC and Britain’s Sky Sports.

Citing sources with knowledge of the situation, BBC reports the Albert Park race, the first of the 2020 F1 season, was slated to go ahead as of Thursday evening.

However, a late-night meeting of F1 officials and leaders from the FIA, motorsport’s governing body, reportedly saw that decision overturned.

Practice was planned to go ahead today, before qualifying sessions on Saturday and the race on Sunday.

F1 is yet to publicly confirm or deny any cancellation.

Earlier, the McLaren Racing team announced one its members had tested positive for coronavirus, prompting the team to withdraw from the starting grid.

The team says the individual has been assessed by local health authorities and is in self-isolation.

Taking to Instagram, McLaren Racing driver Lando Norris said he’s “gutted” he cannot race, but “the most important thing right now is everyone’s health.”

Lewis Hamilton, racing superstar and individual champion of the 2019 season, yesterday told reporters he was “very, very surprised we are here” given the measures other international sporting leagues have made to curtail the virus.

And earlier this week, Miley Cyrus, who was set to perform a bushfire relief concert in Melbourne as part of the grand prix carnival, said the show was cancelled after consultation with health officials. 

As of yesterday morning, Australia counted 126 confirmed cases of the virus within its borders, including three deaths.

More to come.

Image: Julian Smith / AAP