There are very few things in this world that will chill me to the bone faster than the little alert that pops up on my phone to indicate low battery. It’s a massive risk – and that’s not just because I don’t wanna be caught without my tunes on the bus home.
My phone is an extension of me, so when it loses battery, I lose my cool. It’s called FOBO – fear of battery obliteration. Anxiety runs rampant. And I sure as heck am not alone in this.
According to a big ol’ survey conducted by Huawei, 83% of those queried said that low phone battery would elicit a serious mental reaction, causing them to become stressed and anxious – with 10% saying it gave them a physical reaction too. We’re talking sweaty palms and weak knees, you buncha Eminem wannabes.
Plus there’s a reasonable amount of people (one in three!) willing to give up sex if it meant they’d have a fully charged phone battery – and let me tell you, that’s dedication.
As someone who will literally leave an event early if my phone seems like it’s dying (along with 18% of millennials), it’s an important thing to consider. What COULD I conceivably do with all the battery if it lasted longer? Feeling inspired, I asked my mates for examples to see what kind of weird things folks would do:
- I could avoid talking to all the people I don’t like for longer by having more time to play Blossom Blast – Nicole, 25
- I’d be able to make bad decisions with full brightness for longer – Noni, 23
- I’d be able to lurk further back in my crush’s Instagram – Sarah, 24
- Actually being able to order an Uber after a night of documenting an entire concert in Insta stories – Mikayla, 22
- I’d never have to close another app ever again – Josh, 28
- Could use your phone’s flashlight to look through the bins at night – Greg, 26
I wouldn’t need to carry around a charging brick on my person like an ABSOLUTE NEANDERTHAL – Nick, 30
To be fair, we’re the ones dwindling down our own battery by spending hours at a time scrolling through feeds and listening to music – but it’s so much more fun to blame anyone except us! Besides, we’re busy people and it’s about time phone batteries lasted longer.
If you’re scoping out a new one, the Huawei Mate20 Pro has 48 hours of battery before it carks it – TWO WHOLE DAYS. You could take that baby to a festival and not have a care in the world.
Plus Huawei are holding a lil’ shindig at the Bondi Surf Life Saving Club over the 27th and 28th of January to show off the charging beast – and ply you with some juices so you can charge yourselves up too.
Treat for phone, treat for you. It’s only fair.