Let’s be frank: Aussie culture puts serious pressure on drinking. Anyone here seen Ruben Guthrie? No? See that and learn. We’re peer pressuring others and we don’t even know it. Think about it: if you’re not drinking, people might automatically ask you if everything’s OK or why you’re not drinking, because GOD FORBID you spend one night off the sauce.
It’s not cool, really, and I say that as someone who responsibly drinks booze at least two nights a week. Anyway, a good way to combat this arm-twisting shit is by drinking something that looks like an alcoholic bevvy of sorts.
Watch the video below to find out how you can whip up some of your own, all thanks to The House of Angostura‘s ambassador and 2017 Bartender of the Year, Dan Gregory.
Pour decisions?For more on mindful drinking, hit up PEDESTRIAN’s Selfish Weekend presented by The House of Angostura this March: https://pezn.tv/2sx7kYv
Dan will also be around at PEDESTRIAN.TV’s Selfish Weekend (March 16-17 btw, buy tix here), chatting Aussie drinking trends on a panel with DJ Flex Mami, Bartender Magazine Wellness Editor, Amy Spanton and Angostura Global Ambassador Ray Letoa. The panel – Conscious Cocktails: A Guide To Mindful Boozing – will be mediated by one of our own, PEDESTRIAN.TV Music & Culture Editor, Courtney Fry.
For your breakdown pleasure, see recipes below. (Fun FYI: Drinks with 8 dashes or less of bitters are non-alcoholic.)
Angostura Endless Summer
- 4 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 75ml Pomegranate Juice
- 10 Mint Leaves
- 10ml Lime Juice
- Topped with Ginger Beer
- Add all ingredients- except the ginger beer – to a highball glass.
- Press the mint lightly.
- Add ice and top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with mint sprig and lime cheek.
Angostura Forever Young
- 2 Dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 2 Dashes Angostura Orange Bitters
- 45ml Elderflower Cordial
- 8-10 Basil Leaves
- 2-3 Cucumber Ribbons
- Topped with Sparkling Apple Juice
- Add all ingredients to a highball glass.
- Add ice to fill 3/4 of the glass.
- Stir to move the cucumber and basil around.
- Add more ice to fill and top with more sparkling apple juice.
- Garnish: Apple Fan.
Angostura Lemon, Lime & Bitters
- 5 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 150ml Lemonade
- 15ml Fresh Lime Juice
- Add all ingredients to a highball glass over ice.
- Garnish with lime wedge.