At least eight dogs have died and others have been rushed to vets for emergency treatment after a spate of baiting incidents in dog parks around inner-city Brisbane.
Local animal group The Rescue Collective said in a Facebook post that they have had reports of at least twelve dogs affected, with eight lives lost.
Areas known to be affected are the Newfarm and Newstead dog parks, both of which are busy and highly popular, especially on weekends.
The first known incident appears to be a dog named Kiody, who tragically passed away on Tuesday. The Rescue Collective say that:
“The poison is thrown in with and rolled in mince-like meat as well as pieces of meat off-cuts. Some dogs were believed to ingest the meat around the dog park and not actually in it … We encourage everyone to be vigilant no matter where they take their animals as those responsible could strike again.”
The Dogs Of Newfarm Instagram account posted a photo of chunks of meat that were spotted on the ground at one of the local dog parks. They urged followers to walk their dogs on leashes.
Local residents reportedly conducted organised sweeps of the area in an attempt to find any baits that may have been strewn about.
View this post on Instagram
Since Wednesday's post about Kiody, there has been another puppy life lost in the New Farm and Newstead area. We were sent this image today and we've received several messages informing us there is meat like in the image above strewn around the parks and local areas. Apparently there is an organised sweep occuring at 4pm today. Regardless, please everyone in the area stay vigilant and make sure your dogs aren't eating anything off the ground. If you usually allow your dog to walk off leash, it may be safer to keep them on lead for the time being. We sincerely hope this stops soon, as we love all the dogs in New Farm and we love to see them out and about in a happy, safe environment. If we hear anything further, we will be sure to let you all know.
Dogs Of Newfarm also posted a heartfelt tribute to little Kiody, who passed away within a day of eating a bait.
View this post on Instagram
Yesterday, one of the gorgeous dogs of New Farm tragically passed away. Little Kiody was unfortunately the victim of baiting in the local New Farm and Newstead area. Something she ate off the ground had be poisoned by an unknown toxin and she had passed within 24 hours of becoming sick. Kiody's humans did everything they could to save her life and no expense was spared. Unfortunately, nothing further could be done for her. It's a truly devastating thing to post about, and we wish we didn't have to pass on this warning to others with dogs. However, we feel obliged to inform you all that this has happened and urge you to please be careful when taking your fur babies for walks in the area. Don't let them eat anything off the ground, as there are soulless individuals out there who wish to do your dogs harm. The team here at @huttonandhutton offer Kiody's humans our deepest sympathies. We are so sorry for your loss and we feel frustrated for you as this simply shouldn't have happened. Kiody was a beautiful dog and hopefully there are plenty of treats for her where she is now ????????
No culprit has been caught, but a Brisbane City Council representative told Seven News: “The council is committed to doing constant sweeps and implementing signage to warn dog owners.”Image: iStock / felixmizioznikov