A private screening of the Lifetime documentary ‘Surviving R. Kelly‘ in New York has been evacuated after two threats were called into the theatre.

The screening was being held at NeueHouse in Madison Square on Tuesday night US time, and had several of the singer’s victims and their families in attendance, as well as journalists, activists, families of women who are still residing with R. Kelly, producers, #OscarsSoWhite founder April Reign, and #MeToo founder Tarana Burke. It seems the venue was evacuated before the women who have accused R. Kelly of running an abusive sex cult could speak on a scheduled panel.

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, a representative from Lifetime said that the evacuation happened as a precaution, and that they believe that the calls came from somewhere in Chicago.

“Tonight’s all about the safety of everyone — we’re not even thinking of what to do next yet,” the representative said.

Attendees gathered outside the venue and from all reports, everyone is accounted for and physically unharmed. Several people on Twitter have recognised that the evacuation very likely affected the victims’ mental health, in what was already a high-stress and anxiety-inducing event.

The six-part documentary highlights the varied allegations of mental, physical, and sexual abuse and sexual misconduct of the disgraced singer, and apparently features over 50 interviews with prominent figures like R. Kelly’s brothers, ex-wife Andrea Kelly, and John Legend.

Earlier this year, Spotify removed R. Kelly’s music from all promoted playlists on the streaming service, after pressure from the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements.

‘Surviving R. Kelly’ is set to premiere on Lifetime in the US in January 2019.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter
Image: Getty Images / Jerod Harris