As promised, Sunrise reporter Edwina Bartholomew has been hit with heavy consequences over her controversial tweet about Channel 9 reporter Seb Costello last month.

Back in September, Bartholomew left a scandalous comment on a Nine News report that was being presented by her rival.

The tweet, which was soon deleted after posting, leading to much speculation as to what it actually stated, is believed to have read:

“Surprisingly accurate for a [redacted],” with that offending – and now-censored – final word being the source of legal contention.

Now, Edwina has publicly apologised for her tweet, admitting that what she said was “false, hurtful and completely inappropriate.”

“On 14/9 I made a statement on Twitter about @sebcostello9. While I won’t repeat it, what I said about him was false, hurtful and completely inappropriate. I unreservedly apologise to Seb and his family for the hurt and offence my words caused.”

What’s more is that the Daily Telegraph reports the pregnant media personality also had to pay Costello about $20,000 as compensation.

As Sunday Confidential reported at the time, Seven was doubtful Nine would file a defamation suit, with sources telling the column they didn’t believe any legal proceedings would occur.

“There is no way in God’s earth Nine will have this play out in a courtroom,” a source told us.

In a statement to news.com.au regarding Bartholomew’s apology, Costello said he appreciated it, but added that it had been a “difficult time”.

“I appreciate the apology has happened and now want to move on from this incident and leave it behind me,” he said.

“It has been a difficult time for my family and I. I’m grateful for their support and that of my colleagues at Nine.”