The firing of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn was met with outrage from fans and celebs alike, including the film’s cast.
Chris Pratt was among the stars who signed a joint statement to have Gunn reinstated for Guardians 3.
Now in a new interview, the actor behind Peter Quill (Star-Lord) has addressed the unfortunate incident once again.
“It’s not an easy time,” he told the Associated Press. “We all love James and he’s a good friend of ours, but we also really love playing the Guardians of the Galaxy. It’s a complicated situation for everybody. And you know, we just want to move forward and do what’s right and be the best people we can be.”
The 39-year-old actor revealed he was told about the news while attending Comic-Con in San Diego.
“I ended up not doing a lot of interviews around that time just because it was so shocking,” he said.
Disney chairman Alan Horn announced on July 20 that the 52-year-old director had been fired from future Guardians films after alt-right personalities dug up decade-old tweets where he had joked about pedophilia and rape. Gunn issued public apologies for the tweets both before and after he was dropped by the studio.
The joint statement issued by cast members included the signatures of Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Pom Klementieff, and Gunn’s brother Sean Gunn.
“We fully support James Gunn,” the Guardians fam’s statement reads.
We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss. In that time, we’ve been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3 as well as discouraged by those so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories surrounding him.