As anyone who has seen one of Loic Prigent’s ‘Day Before‘ documentaries will tell you, the lead up to Fashion Week looks like it’d be a total nightmare; a disco bloodbath of beading and bodices fuelled by the most powerful/cringeworthy stimulant of all: a Pashun for Fashan. However, if you had to pick one designer whose imagined lead up to their show seems like it would be a cold-blooded chiller affair it’d have to be Emma Mulholland.
The ascendent technicolour DONDA-approved designer, who is making her solo debut at next week’s Mercedes-Benz Australian Fashion Week with a collection titled Spring Break [#zeitgeist], took some time out recently to fill out our quick pre-MBFWA survey to give you an idea of the method, the music and the material behind the madness of one of this year’s most eagerly-anticipated debuts.
1. Without giving too much away who or what has been the muse/s for your Fashion Week collection?
Sun, Surf and Snow. I’ve been getting in to holiday/spring break movies from the 80s and 90s in a big way.
2. If your new collection could be summed up in a song what would it be?
Katy Perry’s ‘Hot and Cold’
3. In what way is this collection different to anything you’ve done before?
It’s the first time I’ve ever done an individual show, so it’s going to be different from people just seeing the look book, we can really style each look and model individually and take charge of the music and set, so that’s exciting and I’m working with some amazing people.
4. Describe the state of your studio right now with a week left before MBFWA?
Full of fashions, sequins and beads cover the floor, my sister is in here stealing the internet, the kettle is boiling and Talking Heads are playing.
5. What are your 3 must-have items for surviving MBFWA and the lead up?
Coffee, comfortable shoes, friends that will help you.
6. Who is your favourite Aus model/s to work with and why?
My #1 girls are Rachel Rutt, Olivia Henderson and Anja Konstantinova (pictured above in Mulholland’s most recent ‘Spaced Out’ collection), they are all amazing models with equally as amazing personalities. I have also seen some beautiful new faces lately, I love Marthe Wiggers.
Rachel Rutt for Emma Mulholland’s graduate collection ‘Life’s A Beach.’ Photo: Byron Spencer
7. What’s the first thing you’ll do once your show’s over?
High five everyone involved.
Ollie Henderson for Emma Mulholland’s ‘Tropical Rebel’ collection. Photo: Byron Spencer
For more pre-MBFWA BTS goods, check out We Are Handsome’s questionnaire here.