Christchurch Police Commissioner Mike Bush has confirmed 49 people were killed in today’s horrendous terror attacks on two Christchurch mosques.
41 people are confirmed to have lost their lives inside the Deans Avenue mosque. And at the Linwood Avenue mosque, Bush confirmed 7 people were killed.
Of the 40 people taken to Christchurch Hospital, one has since died from their injuries.
Bush confirmed one man in his late 20s has been charged with murder and will appear in Christchurch court tomorrow morning.
Three other people were apprehended.We believe one of those persons who was armed and was at the scene may have had nothing to do with this incident, and the two other people that have been apprehended, again in possession of firearms in the general environment, we are working through to understand what their involvement is.
“Our hearts go out to the [victims], and all of their family and all of their friends and all of their loved ones.
“We will do our best for them.”
Bush said no agency in New Zealand or Australia had any information about the people responsible.
“I’ve been in contact with my Australian colleagues – they have no information on them at all either,” he said.
49 people have died in the New Zealand mosque shootings, Police Commissioner Mike Bush says. One person has been charged with murder
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) March 15, 2019
Earlier this evening, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern condemned the act of terror and those behind it.
“It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack.
“These are people who I would describe as having extremist views, that have absolutely no place in New Zealand, and in fact have no place in the world,” she said.
“You may have chosen us but we utterly reject and condemn you,” she said.
“This act is not a reflection of who we are as a nation. This isn’t who we are.”Image: AAP / Martin Hunter