New York Police Department has issued a warrant for UFC fighter Conor McGregor’s arrest after a violent altercation with other fighters at a media event, says UFC president Dana White.
However, a NYPD spokesperson was unable to confirm nor deny White’s claim, saying only that the alleged incident was under investigation.
White said the arrest warrant was in relation to McGregor’s alleged attack on a coach carrying other UFC fighters at the Barclays Center.
The incident occurred yesterday after White confirmed Khabib Nurmagomedov’s upcoming lightweight bout against Max Holloway would be for the title of lightweight division champion.
McGregor was officially stripped of the lightweight title earlier this week, and the Irishman took to Twitter to condemn the decision.
You’s’ll strip me of nothing you’s do nothing cunts.
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) April 5, 2018
Members of McGregor’s group allegedly hurled barricades and other objects at a coach carrying Nurmagomedov and several other fighters leaving the press event, injuring lightweight brawler Michael Chiesa in the process.
Chiesa’s coach Rick Little said “a million security guards had to restrain [McGregor]. Mike’s cut up now. He’s got marks on him, for sure. I don’t think it’s too serious.”
Chiesa was reportedly taken to a local hospital for evaluation.
Footage of the alleged incident has gone viral.
— Chamatkar Sandhu (@SandhuMMA) April 5, 2018
Describing the incident as “criminal” and “disgusting”, White told reporter Brett Okamoto “they’re looking for [McGregor] right now and his plane is grounded.
“I assume if they don’t catch him he will turn himself in. He’s going to be sued beyond belief and this is a very bad career move for him.”
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) April 5, 2018
In a statement provided by the Las Vegas Review-Journal, a NYPD spokesperson said “we have no information on this matter at this time,” but “we are currently investigating the situation.”
McGregor has not fought in the mixed martial arts competition since November 2016.