HBO has responded to the mass criticism of upcoming show Confederate, after an online campaign saw the hashtag #NoConfederate become the #2 trending topic on Twitter worldwide.

In response to critics who want the cable network to drop the alt-history show over its depiction of modern-day slavery in America, HBO has issued a statement affirming its faith in creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, and executive producers Malcolm Spellman and Nichelle Tramble Spellman.

“We have great respect for the dialogue and concern being expressed around ‘Confederate’,” the network says.

“We have faith that Nichelle, Dan, David and Malcolm will approach the subject with care and sensitivity.

“The project is currently in its infancy so we hope that people will reserve judgment until there is something to see.”

Some of those opposed to Confederate say it’s problematic that Benioff and Weiss, two white men, are leading a project drawing from such a racist chapter of American history.

Spellman and Tramble Spellman, both of whom are African American, had previously addressed some of the criticism hurled Confederate’s way.

Tramble Spellman said “I wish their concern had been reserved to the night of the premiere, on HBO, on a Sunday night, when they watched and then they made a decision after they watched an hour of television as to whether or not we succeeded in what we set out to do.

“The concern is real. But I think that the four of us are very thoughtful, very serious, and not flip about what we are getting into in any way.”

At time of writing, the #NoConfederate campaign is continuing unabated.

Source: Variety
Image: Getty Images / Alberto E. Rodriguez