George Calombaris Hospitalised With Eye Injury, Flashes Patch On Instagram

George Calombaris

Celebrity chef and TV personality George Calombaris has revealed that he was hospitalised over the weekend after catching a rogue squash ball to the eye.

He took to Instagram overnight, rocking a pirate-style patch, to reveal that he’d been rushed to the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital in Melbourne.

“A massive thank you to the amazing eye and ear hospital,” he wrote. “The team are legends. A huge lesson for me today: wear protective glasses when playing squash.”

Earlier this month, George Calombaris announced that he will be closing his modern Greek restaurant The Press Club after 12 years in business, with June 29 set to be the final day.

He told Good Food: “I’ve had a lot of sleepless nights and given it a lot of thought but I knew in my heart of hearts that it was the right decision.”

The restaurant will reportedly reopen in a “fresh guise” a month later.

Calombaris was one of a number of high-profile restaurateurs accused of underpaying staff in 2017, with more than 150 employees claiming that they were owed in the vicinity of $2.6 million.

The “devastated” chef apologised, blaming outdated systems and processes for the error, and affected staff at The Press Club, Hellenic Republic and Gazi received an average of $16,000 each in back pay.