It is coming close to nine years since Heath Ledger died, and that is an extraordinary fact to process.
He died of a fatal and accidental drug overdose on January 22, 2008, after a now well-documented obsession with his second last role as the Joker in ‘The Dark Knight‘.
Now one of the police investigators who responded to the 911 call has told Page Six that Ledger’s New York City apartment had been turned into a shrine to the villain.
The unnamed police source told the publication that when officers arrived at the scene, they found his apartment filled with “Batman comic books, literature on the Joker and clowns, small clown statues and recordings of Ledger practicing his oddly shifting Joker voice in high and low octaves.”
They found that the Oscar-winning actor had delved deep, deep into his character’s origins.
“He was studying the origins of clowns and all of the previous Jokers like Jack Nicholson’s character and Cesar Romero’s, who was the first Joker on TV,” the source said.
“He was trying to make his role different from the roles of the other actors. He was even studying how to make his voice different from theirs.”
The source also noted that Ledger’s apartment was immaculately clean.
“He was a perfectionist who clearly had a lot of respect for the character. All of that stuff was very tidy. He cared a lot about it.”
Ledger’s official cause of death was “acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine”, the result of a deadly cocktail of painkillers, sleeping pills and anti-anxiety drugs.
It occurred just a few months after he finished filming ‘The Dark Knight’.
One day, not too long from now, we’ll all be living in a world where Heath Ledger has been dead for longer than he’s been alive, and that will never not be weird.
Photo: The Dark Knight.