Tragedy has struck the annual Defqon.1 EDM music festival as the Sydney Morning Herald today reports that a punter at yesterday’s festival in Western Sydney has died from a suspected drug overdose.
It is reported that the victim was a 23 year old Victorian man who suffered seizures at around midday yesterday after being taken to the medical tent at the Castlereagh-based festival populated by over 18,000 EDM fans. The man was later pronounced dead at the nearby Nepean Hospital.
The tragic news comes along with 14 separate reported cases of drug overdoses at the festival, combined with over 84 drug-related arrests. Before the jam-packed summer festival season kicks off in Australia, the news poses as a cautionary tale among the trend of substance abuse appearing hand-in-hand with festival punters, with the worst-possible outcome posing as a real, vivid threat. The reported death also comes off a similarly tragic case at New York’s Electric Zoo festival earlier this month, where 2 people died due to suspected MDMA overdoses.
Defqon.1 and its organiser Q-dance are yet to comment.
Lead image via @defqon1Au.