Do you ever experience wardrobe curiosity? That’s the condition when you see someone with style for days and wonder what kind of fabulous shit that must be inside their wardrobe. We get it all the time so we invited ourselves into the wardrobes of 20 fashion finalists in the 2012 Ultrabook Blogster Awards to gain an insight into their respective sartorial leanings and also just to be voyeuristic style-creeps. Vote for your favourite.
SUBMITTED BY TINY SARTORIALIST
1. My most expensive purchase If you place any value on human life and time, this Michael Jackson “Who’s Bad” jumper is my most expensive item. It took my mum a week of late nights and compromised days at work to draw the pattern and knit it for me in time for our trip to a wintery Canada. It has a knitted picture of Michael Jackson’s face on the back. I will show it to you if I win.
2. My newest purchase I am starting to experiment with shooting my own photos. This Diego Explorer camera talks when I take a picture. It is very encouraging.
3. My oldest purchase My mum purchased these black and gold L.A.M.B. x Royal Elastic shoes before she was even pregnant. That is how committed she is to baby fashion. And shiny things.
4. My favourite purchase These are harem pants. With flamingos.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Last Christmas, my followers said they would like me to wear a pirate hat when I sat on Santa’s knee. They also requested an Elmo costume, an MJ costume and traditional Turkish wear combined with the pirate hat. I wore this hat for the photos and it has remained in my costume box since. As you can see I didn’t really like wearing it.
SUBMITTED BY I MAKE. YOU WEAR IT.
1. My most expensive purchase Black Bag from New York.
2. My newest purchase YSL ring
3. My oldest purchase Anna Sui Lipstick
4. My favourite purchase Prada Sunglasses
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Harry Potter wand for a dress up party!
SUBMITTED BY LEE OLIVEIRA
1. My most expensive purchase My Camera
2. My newest purchase Prada SS12 pants
3. My oldest purchase Gucci backpack
4. My favourite purchase Balenciaga sneakers
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once I bought these colored sunglasses on eBay and only wore them once.
SUBMITTED BY I DIG YOUR SOLE MAN
1. My most expensive purchase My camera. This is the bad boy I shoot all my stills and video on, and although I would love to get enough coin together to trade it in for the 5D Mark III soon, this one has been money well spent.
2. My newest purchase My new Vanishing Elephant socks – I love them.
3. My oldest purchase I picked up this old Ricoh Rangefinder years ago when I used to shoot only on 35mm. It’s now broken and exists as an old relic on the shelf that merely gathers dust. It looks good though and I can’t bear to throw it out.
4. My favourite purchase My iPhone. I could not exist without this thing, it does everything including shoots stills and video, organises my life and most importantly plays Angry Birds and Spotify.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Last year I dipped my toe in the Aviators market. They were worn once and did nothing but established my love for Wayfarers.
SUBMITTED BY HOW TO CLOTHE THE LONLEY
1. My most expensive purchase A white feathered Swan Lake ballet costume by Hao Hao Wu at Born in June in Paddington.
2. My newest purchase Lots of adorable and cheap knickers from Forever 21, they have some great stuff. I usually only shop vintage but I draw the line at my panties.
3. My oldest purchase A lace gown from the 1800’s. I wear it all the time and it still holds together well, I’ve had to make some minor repairs but I love prancing around in it.
4. My favourite purchase My favorite purchase would have to be my 1950’s black and cream lace evening gown. when I was living in Kings Cross with my boyfriend we were broke and only ever shopped at the goodwill but used to prowl the vintage stores drooling over the incredible pieces we would never own. One day I came upon a dress I had to try on. It fit like it was tailored for me and we had to have it, so we pooled our money together, risking eviction for this beautiful dress. I wear it all the time, it never fails to draw gasp.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once To be honest almost everything I buy I usually only wear once, if it’s an interesting piece. Every outfit is created for a certain day or event or for the company I’ll be keeping. Most people I know can see me everyday for a year and never see the same outfit.
SUBMITTED BY MINT MAISON
1. My most expensive purchase The knitted thing you see in the image, and because I’m not shmancy or anything, it’s from Target.
2. My newest purchase The sunnies you see perched happily on top are Ray-Bans, and my most expensive purchase to date, and probably the only thing I’ve bought at full price (can you tell I’m a tight arse?)
3. My oldest purchase Next is my favourite item, and a wardrobe staple — a striped tee from Marcs. Breton stripes are the best.
4. My favourite purchase Continuing with the navy-ness (is that even a word?) is my oldest purchase to date, a pair of Neuw jeans, and the pants I repeatedly tell people I live in. They’re just so comfy.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once And to finish: my name’s Nusardel and I have a spending problem. This was a purchase made in one of my sprees. I’ve only worn it once, but that was at home, so technically I’ve never worn it out. I’m, of course, talking about the striped shorts you see on top of the jeans.
SUBMITTED BY APRIL ROSE PENGILLY
1. My most expensive purchase I bought this Louis Vuitton overnight bag from an incredible vintage store in Tokyo. It was slightly damaged, which I think gives it a bit of character; I often wonder where in the world it travelled before I got my paws on it.
2. My newest purchase These Betts boots were a bargain and I love the badass silver spikes up the back. Up close, the boots appear to be made of sparkly black tinsel, which is simply delightful.
3. My oldest purchase This heart-shaped pouch was purchased on a trip to Bali with my mother. It reminds me of a simpler time when everything was adorned with multicoloured sequins – handbags, caps, Spice Girls, etc.
4. My favourite purchase I scored this gold Fendi charm at a garage sale last year for a mere ten dollars. I still wear it on the cheap bracelet the previous owner attached it to, but I might thread it onto a necklace at some point. #Versatile
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once I bought this full-length pink dress from a Surry Hills vintage store and had it shortened to the knee for my year 11 formal. There are no tags inside, so it would have been custom-made and possibly a bridesmaids dress. It also came with a matching Xanadu-esque cape that I recently wore to a 1970’s-themed party.
SUBMITTED BY FLIP AND STYLE
1. My most expensive purchase My DSLR camera! Spent ages saving up for that one and it was well worth it.
2. My newest purchase Vera Wang Princess fragrance pack. It’s forever been my favourite perfume.
3. My oldest purchase This skull ornament I bought up at the coast one summer holiday. I like skulls far too much.
4. My favourite purchase The vanilla caramel Glasshouse candle. Sweetest scent and really relaxing.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once I went through a Spencer Pratt stone craze and bought this agate necklace at Kirribilli Markets.
SUBMITTED BY THE CHRONICLES OF HER
1. My newest purchase ‘Shakuhachi Burlesque Borders Blazer’. I was going to tell you of the trauma I withstood while shopping for this silk blazer on a sweltering hot day in Bali, but I think all you need to know is that it’s my happy jacket. A good, lairy print is instantly uplifting (I mean, it would be near impossible to have a bad day in Prada bananas!).
2. My oldest purchase ‘Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Eau De Parfum’. The very first one I ever bought. A signature scent can take years to find, but within this bottle I knew I’d found a soulmate.
3. My favourite purchase ‘Topshop Reflect Metallic Heel Sandals’. These have almost made the bloggers’ Hall of Fame – alongside the YSL ring and a box of macaroons. For best results, wear with leather pants.
4. The thing that I bought and only wore once ‘Vintage GUESS leopard print jeans’. These put Mr Harry Highpants to shame. Note to self: If the button does up anywhere near the breast bone – ABORT!
5. My most expensive purchase ‘Moschino belt’ wrapped around one of my favourite issues of Oyster. Paid a ridiculous price for this on eBay back in my teen queen days. Confession: I haven’t worn it since my boyfriend asked me why I was wearing a ‘Mossimo’ belt – awkward.
SUBMITTED BY SASSY BELLA
1. My most expensive purchase Right now it’s my Proenza Schouler PS1 bag, large in beige. It was on my must-buy list for about a year. It was love at first sight when I was in the US, then again in Italy… and finally I bought it in time for fashion week last year. It’s not used as much these days, but it’s still pretty to look at!
2. My newest purchase I realised that I hate all my black pumps and bought these over the weekend. They have a slightly angular cut around the heel which I love – and the slightly lower heel means I can run from meeting to meeting without much effort.
3. My oldest purchase It’s actually a tossup between a my Chanel Coco Mademoiselle perfume and a stunning jewel pendant necklace. Love them both – and I still wear them both.
4. My favourite purchase Right now it’s this gold metal belt by Melbourne designer Mettle Fair Trade (who’s stocked on Shopbop!). It’s the perfect accessory to dress up a LBD without needing to pile on the jewellery. Subtle but amazing.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once I loved this Willow dress at first sight that it was a no brainer that I spent a bit of money on it. Kit Willow knows how to embellish clothes like no one else and the shards of mirror scattered around this dress is what makes it amazing. But after wearing it once in Italy, I haven’t really found an occasion to wear it again in Australia!
SUBMITTED BY SARGASSO SEA
1. My most expensive purchase Repetto heels. Repetto offers a cheaters guide to classical ballet footwork (no dancing en pointe necessary). My beloved Repetto heels add a certain je ne sais quoi to my shoe collection, despite their unkind Euro price tag.
2. My oldest purchase Kirrily Johnston sample skirt. My first designer haul was c/o a stranger selling her wares on a suburban street near mine. She introduced my teenage self to my Australian favourites, Antipodium and Josh Goot, as well as this unlabelled pocket skirt sample from KJ.
3. My favourite purchase Necklace from the markets. Living with me for years may prove difficult for humans, but this necklace has seen me through it all. It’s the perfect complement to almost every piece of clothing I own and its sense of worth is only increased by the original $12 price tag.
4. My newest purchase Black Bassike Layering Singlet Dress. I bought this dress four days ago and managed to find ways to wear it three times since. I’ve worn it out at night, to coffee the next morning and to my internship with laptop and notebooks in tow.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Sequined jacket. This jacket began its life with me as a spontaneous Ebay purchase and despite its highly colourful and shiny exterior, it’s only had one outing (the tag hasn’t even been removed yet). Now that I’ve dug it out for this shoot, I must find a way to wear it again.
SUBMITTED BY THE GIRL CAN SHOOT
1. My most expensive purchase Thankfully my most expensive purchase also moonlights as my favourite purchase. My camera, which has become a natural extension of my body, is my most used, most favoured item that I own. The memories and work captured on this exquisite piece of equipment is priceless – also holds a nice little memory for me as it was bought in Budapest whilst I was living in Berlin.
2. My newest purchase Just bought Dior’s Iconic Eyeshadow. I don’t wear much makeup, but always have time for a bit of mascara!
3. My oldest purchase My husband and I spent the last 5 years in Europe and the constant travelling and living in different cities led a big cull of our possessions. So, as of now, my oldest purchase is a saree I bought when I was 18 – thankfully the intricate designs of the saree never go out of style and will never be culled.
4. My favourite purchase See number 1.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once I bought a pair of unisex Ray Ban aviators and after wearing it once, my husband tried them on and liked them so much that he decided to keep them for himself. Lesson learned!
SUBMITTED BY CITIZENS OF THE WORLD
MEGHAN from Citizens of the World
1. My most expensive purchase As far expensive purchases go nothing’s really as first-world bourgeois as a Diptyque scented candle. At $100 a pop the overall cost per use is pretty darn high and I’ve been known to burn through these with all the giddy excitement of a pyromaniac.
2. My newest purchase I recently bought a pair of Levi’s mid waist denim cut offs for $45 from Bondi markets – even though it’s freezing right now. Dom and I are heading to Paris in a month and I hear it gets pretty sweaty there come August so I’m going to pwn that heat with these puppies.
3. My oldest purchase The beautiful topless lady giving us the come hither eye is a 1975 print of ‘Peaches’ by Leo Jansen. She lives in our kitchen where her retro seventiesglam aligns perfectly with the floor’s easy-care linoleum.
4. My favourite purchase My monogrammed green leather satchel from The Cambridge Satchel Company. Nothing like a bit of healthy egotism.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Get a load of the lovely innocent pink Carla Zampatti pants in the top left. Not only did I felt like I bit of an impostor in them but they’re also a little bit uncomfortably see-through, so maybe Carla Z’s not such a good girl after all? Hmmm.
DOM from Citizens of the World
1. My most expensive purchase My new Nikon D4 camera. Like any guy I love my gadgets and not only is the most expensive and essential item in my kit but it also provides hours of entertainment.
2. My newest purchase Picked up that nice green lumberjack shirt from a Deus Ex Machina sample sale at Bondi Markets. All I need now is a cabin in the woods.
3. My oldest purchase That brown Nudie leather jacket has seen me through many a winter. The pockets are a bit tattered and the arms have numerous alcohol stains but that all just adds to the charm, right?
4. My favourite purchase See number 1.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once Can’t remember what kind of costume party I wore this Mr Bean mask too but it must’ve been Halloween because even looking at it now is freaking me out.
SUBMITTED BY XSSAT
1. My most expensive purchase Definitely my Canon camera and lenses. An investment piece by all means, but it’s earning its keep too.
2. My newest purchase A Comme des Garcons wallet. It’s in a metallic orangey greeny holographic-esque dotted debossed finished, it’s lovely and very shiny.
3. My oldest purchase I did a wardrobe clean out recently, now nothing is more than 5-6 years old, so nothing quite qualifies.
4. My favourite purchase My Rittenhouse dress. I’ve had it for years, it was my first expensive designer purchase and it even backpacked around the world with me.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once The ASOS blue bracelet. I wore it to a party once, the party was great! Not sure about the bracelet though.
SUBMITTED BY LA PETITE MADEMOISELLE
1. My most expensive purchase My Jeffrey Campbell Lita heels. This is the most expensive thing I bought for myself.
2. My newest purchase My polka dot back pack. I’ve been meaning to get a backpack all year and now having donned a pair of crutches it was a much needed purchase.
3. My oldest purchase My lace Alannah Hill cardigan. I bought this when I first started university as part of my wardrobe revamp.
4. My favourite purchase My black Nudie jeans. I wear them everywhere and with everything!
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once My Forever New playsuit. I bought this before I went to Melbourne for Christmas and have only worn it for that one photoshoot…
SUBMITTED BY COLOUR ME DANG
1. My most expensive purchase would be the light blue blazer bought for my friends yr 12 formal. By the end of the night there was so many makeup smudges on it from accidentally rubbing it against the girls!
2. My newest purchase Aldo brogues bought at Surry Hills Vinnies for 10 bucks! They were literally mint condition with no wear on the sole.
3. My oldest purchase Little leather messenger bag. It became pretty obsolete early on because it couldn’t carry much and so it’s been gathering dust on-top of my wardrobe.
4. My favourite purchase Definitely the Givenchy Rottweiler shirt. It’s such a statement piece and was my first ever high end designer purchase.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once The Christopher Esber floral top which is a size too small. It’s a constant struggle between wanting to wear it but not wanting to die because I can’t breathe in it.
SUBMITTED BY A PAIR AND A SPARE
1. My most expensive purchase My Singer sewing machine almost broke the bank but was so worth it – you have sewing machines for a lifetime and they pay for themselves over and over.
2. My newest purchase One of my most recent DIY tutorials was a chain camera strap – and the chain for this project was the most recent thing I’ve bought.
3. My oldest purchase This tribal printed mini dress was a long vintage dress I completely reworked – the old chinese lady in the secondhand store where I bought it told me it had sat on the rack for something like two decades (!), so potentially this dress is older than me.
4. My favourite purchase This neon yellow collar necklace is one of my most DIY projects – and one I have worn over and over since I made it last year.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once The two tone pink and black shoes are a recent project I’ve only worn once – but very much looking forward to wearing them more!
SUBMITTED BY MODERN LEGACY
1. My most expensive purchase (so far…) is my heather grey Alexander Wang ‘Rafael’ Top Handle Bag. No regrets on this one though – it’s perfect in every way.
2. My newest purchase that I have my hands on (there is always something on the way in the post these days) are my SENSO Quincy II ankle boots. Cut-out ankle boots are where it’s at this winter, so sleek and flattering.
3. My oldest purchase may just be this vintage floral dress I bought a few years ago. Who knows how old it could be.
4. My favourite purchase at the moment would have to be my Acne ‘Pop Trash’ boyfriend jeans. Paying a couple of hundred dollars for something that looks like it had to be de-wedged from the back of your clothes dryer has got to be a good thing.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once is my Bec & Bridge ‘Bianca’ Adventurer hat. There’s still time, though – there’s still time.
SUBMITTED BY ATSULI
1. My most expensive purchase My Tom Ford frames + the lenses in them is probably the most expensive thing I’ve purchased myself. Worth every penny, they are on my face every day.
2. My newest purchase Fashion wise? Some cute leather gloves so I can use my camera this winter without my hands getting frost bite. Literally an hour ago before this was taken I purchased some black and white film though.
3. My oldest purchase I’m pretty sure my Fafi for Lesportsac bag is the oldest thing I have hanging around still, I threw out most of my old stuff when I moved to Sydney. I got it on one of my trips to Japan, I was 16 maybe?
4. My favourite purchase I bought this rose gold horse bangle from Samantha Wills months ago and wear it almost every day. The child in me is to obsessed with horses not to love it.
5. The thing that I bought and only wore once These white docs have had a total wear time of 20 minutes. In my defense, I love them so much that I can not bring myself to wear them in fear of destroying their perfect state of white. If anyone has any idea on how to keep them immaculate other than ‘don’t wear them’ I’d be forever grateful.