For the third year in a row, ESPN Australia is digging deep into their archives of truly insane sporting broadcasts and is going full-Dodgeball by shifting ESPN 2 up six slots to become ESPN 8: The Ocho for 24 hours. And this year not only are they bringing you such wild spectacles as the world Big Buck Hunter championships, but for the very first time The Ocho’s flagship event – the World Cornhole Championships – will be shown in full, live as it happens. Hell. Bloody. Yes.
The third iteration of the annual 24-hour takeover is set to go down this coming Thursday, and the good sorts at ESPN have released the full schedule of programming for the day. And boy oh boy, you’re gonna want to set the ole’ DVR, because there’s some absolutely cracking competition lined up.
The Ocho’s takeover begins at midnight on Wednesday night/Thursday morning with a screening of the movie that kick-started this now truly blessed annual tradition, Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.
From there, the channel will air a litany of spine-tingling, edge-of-the-seat events like the Acrobatic Pizza Trials (which features disciplines like freestyle acrobatics, dough stretch, and the highly competitive box folding time trials), a Cherry Pit Spitting competition (coming to you from beautiful Eau Claire, Michigan), the US Electricians National Championships (a “highly-charged, no holds barred” event), and even – you bloody know it – the 11th Big Buck World Championships featuring the kind of competitors who’d fleece you dry down at the pub on an average Friday night.
Cop a squizz at the full lineup of programming below. No word on whether ESPN plans on coaxing Hall of Fame Ocho announcers Cotton McKnight and Pepper Brooks out of retirement for their annual celebration was available at the time of writing.
ESPN 8 – THE OCHO LINEUP – Thursday, August 8 (All times AEST)
- Midnight – Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
- 1:30am – 2019 Spikeball College Championship
- 2:30am – Big Buck World Championship XI
- 3:00am – Lumberjack World Championships
- 4:00am – World Axe Throwing Championship
- 5:00am – Best of Chess Boxing
- 6:00am – 2019 Las Vegas Highland Games
- 6:30am – 51st National Stone Skipping Competition
- 7:30am – IDEAL Electricians National Championship
- 8:30am – 2018 Classic Tetris World Championship
- 9:00am – Putt Putt Championships
- 9:30am – 2019 Golden Tee World Championship
- 10:00am – 2019 WCO World Cornhole Cup (LIVE)
- 11:00am – America’s Dodgeball Continental Cup: USA vs Canada
- Noon – E:60
- 12:30pm – 2019 Jelle’s Marble Run
- 1:00pm – 2019 Las Vegas Highland Games
- 1:30pm – American E-Kart Championship: Anyone’s Race
- 2:00pm – Lawn Mower Racing
- 2:30pm – School Bus Figure 8
- 3:00pm – European TramDriver Championship
- 4:00pm – Moxie Games 3
- 5:30pm – Dodge Juggle 3
- 6:30pm – US Pizza Team Winter Acrobatic Trials
- 7:30pm – 46th Annual Cherry Spitting Championship
- 8:00pm – Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
- 9:30pm – America’s Dodgeball Continental Cup: USA vs Canada
- 10:30pm – 2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League
- 11:00pm – Slippery Stairs
- 11:30pm – 2019 World Sign Spinning Championship
Personally, my picks of the day are the European TramDriver titles – those guys can stop 8 skateboard-riding rhinos on a damn dime – and the Putt Putt Championships – because timing that windmill is always the difference between agony and ecstasy.
Mark your calendars, folks. It’s gonna be a good day.