30 people (including AFL fans) from Queensland have been told to leave the GMHBA stadium on Friday night due to health alert issued by the Victorian Government.
The health alert was issued by The Department of Health and human Services at 7.01pm, 49 minutes before the Brisbane v Geelong game. Fans who had entered Victoria since March 12 were told on the loud speakers to immediately isolate and get a COVID test. Commentators Luke Hodge and Wayne Carey were among those required to exit the stadium immediately.
“The AFL confirms the Brisbane Lions players, coaches and officials obtained an exemption from the Victorian Government from orange zone permit requirements as players, coaches and officials have all been living and abiding by approved AFL protocols,” the statement from the AFL read.
“Anyone who has entered Victoria from the City of Brisbane and Moreton Bay Region since 12 March must immediately self-isolate, get a coronavirus test within 72 hours, and stay isolated until they receive a negative result.”
(1/5) QUEENSLAND EXPOSURE SITES:
— VicGovDH (@VicGovDH) March 26, 2021
“Extraordinary drama tonight as COVID rears its ugly head,” AFL reporter Jon Ralph told Fox Footy.
“As we speak, fans are being told that they must leave the ground if they have come in from Queensland. The loudspeakers are pushing that message.
“(Brisbane) are in an enhanced security bubble, so they will be able to fly out tomorrow.”
The AFL is now on high-alert with Sydney’s AFL side and North Melbourne’s AFLW team could both be considered “dirty clubs” as they played in Brisbane last week, according to Fox Footy.
It’s also unclear whether Saturday’s AFLW match against the Lions will go ahead.
After a tumultuous footy-season last year due to COVID, it’s worrying to think that fans could miss out on seeing their teams play for a second year in a row. But *finger’s crossed* the latest Brisbane outbreak will be kept under control.
This comes after a 26-year-old Brisbane man from Stafford tested positive on Thursday. But Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said there is “no need for alarm” in the community and asked Queenslanders to continue social distancing.