Victoria is looking to ban all non-compliant hoverboards come July 1 unless they meet stringent new safety standards, thanks to their unfortunate habit of spontaneously combusting.

Already one house fire in the state has been directly caused by a hoverboard’s non-compliant battery and charger, and “we don’t want anymore,” said Energy Minister Lily D’Ambrosio.

The safety requirements will be the same as those that apply to fridges and heaters, and will basically ensure that the power supply, batteries and unit are compatible. 

“The certificate of compliance will ensure consumers can clearly see the product they are buying is approved and safe for use,”
said D’Ambrosio. 

Hoverboards, a science-fiction staple turned into 2015 reality, are powered by a lithium ion battery, and it just so happens that the liquid inside most lithium ion batteries is highly flammable. One puncture in the incredibly thin sheet of plastic separating the positive and negative sides of the battery, and BOOM. Fire. Lots and lots of fire.

VIC To Ban Hoverboards From July 1 ‘Cos They Won’t Stop Randomly Exploding

The real important thing here – and I think we could all agree – is that Russell Crowe must be informed of this over and over again, until he recounts his giant tanty at Virgin Airlines for not letting him take his kids’ death machines on board.


Source: ABC.
Photo: Back to the Future II.