Friends, it’s that time of year again when everyone and their cat decides to make lists about which neighbourhood is better than the rest. This time we’re looking at a brand new 2021 list of the most Insta-worthy neighbourhoods in the world, and surprisingly, Australia appears twice.
The data was collated by UK-based company Stokemont.com, and reveals to us the top 50 Instagram-worthy cities and neighbourhoods based on how frequently location hashtags and tags are being used.
First, the company made a big old list of neighbourhoods that people adore from sources like Complex, Timeout and Forbes, and then popped on over to Instagram to seek the data that makes up this competitive list.
But hey, you’re not here for facts, you’re here to see how badly Sydney kicked Melbourne’s ass into tomorrow, aren’t ya?
Here are the 50 most Instagrammed neighbourhoods in the entire world, apparently:
- Wynwood (Miami) – 3.8m Tags
- Shinjuku (Tokyo) – 2.7m Tags
- Astoria (New York) – 1.9m Tags
- Pretoria (South Africa) – 1.4m Tags
- Silver Lake (Los Angeles) – 1.4m Tags
- Hongdae (Seoul) – 1m Tags
- Champs-Elysées (Paris) – 1m Tags
- Burano (Venice) – 1m Tags
- Chefchaouen (Northwest Morocco) – 861k Tags
- Surry Hills (Sydney) – 561k Tags
- 11. Centrum (warsaw) – 557k Tags
- Nakameguro (Tokyo) – 512k Tags
- Brera (Milan) 478k
- Peckham (London) 424k
- Arnavutköy (Istanbul) 376k
- Vesterbro (Copenhagen) 352k
- Thonglor (Bangkok) 298k
- Lombard Street (San Fransisco) 285k
- Yarraville, (Melbourne) 236k
- Old Havana (Ciudad de La Habana) 204k
- Kallio (Helsinki) 191k
- Lijiang, (Yunnan Provnice) 187k
- Kolonaki (Athens) 154k
- Maboneng (Jhannesburg) 146k
- Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen Island) 133k
- Narvarte (Mexico City) 132k
- Corktown (Detroit) 119k
- Tiong Bahru (Bukit Merah) 110k
- Porta Venezia (Milan) 94.7k
- Sham Shui Po (Kowloon) 93.6k
- Verdun (Quebec) 79.1k
- Alvalade (Lisbon) 72.6k
- Water Street, (Brooklyn) 61.3k
- Ladbroke Grove (London) – 55.3k Tags
- Setenil de las Bodegas, (Cádiz) – 50.8k Tags
- Mariahilfer-Strasse (Vienna) – 46.6k Tags
- Sinsa-dong (Seoul) – 40k Tags
- Gemmayze (Beirut) – 39.1k Tags
- The Shambles, (York) – 38.3k Tags
- Stnoeybatter (Dublin) – 21.4k Tags
- Zhoushan (Province of Zhejiang) – 18.1k Tags
- The Philosopher’s Path (Kyoto) – 15.4k Tags
- La Boca,( Buenos Aires) – 13.6k Tags
- Zeeburg (North Holland) – 11.3k Tags
- Gongguan ( Zhongzheng and Daan Districts ) – 9.5k Tags
- Historic Filipinotown (Los Angeles) – 6.1k Tags
- Rua do Bom Jesus (Recife Antigo) – 6k Tags
- Taman Paramount (Selangor) – 2.8k Tags
- Business Bay (Downtown Dubai) – 1.7k Tags
- Onikan (Lagos) – 1.4k Tags
So there you have it, the most Instagrammed neighbourhoods in the world. Melbourne was sitting pretty at number 19 on the list with Yarraville, which receives a total of 236k tags on the ‘gram.
Yes, Melburnians, that’s below Sydney. Below it. We win. And with Surry Hills of all places.
Here’s a cute pic of Surry Hills, just in case you weren’t familiar.
And here’s its rival Yarraville.
View this post on Instagram
I am absolutely screaming at the idea of Surry Hills of all places being like two spots away from the fkn Champs-Elysées of all places. Sure they may have the Arc de Triomphe, but we have Surry Hills Messina, so who is really winning here?
Now if you need me I’m going to go see what the hell people are taking pictures of in Surry Hills.