South Australia is implementing widespread restrictions starting from tonight after a second person has tested positive to COVID-19.

The daughter of an 81-year-old man who previously tested positive to COVID-19 has also contracted the virus, bringing the total number of active cases in SA to 16.

The elderly man returned to Australia from Argentina through NSW and was quarantined for 14 days as normal. He then spent 10 days in hospital in NSW after getting hurt in a fall, and returned to SA on July 8. He was admitted into hospital again over the weekend due to developing symptoms to COVID-19, where he tested positive.

The staff that tended to the man have been quarantined, and so has his daughter who also tested positive.

Five other close contacts to the pair were tested and have since come out as negative, but Premier Steven Marshall said authorities are still very concerned.

“We don’t draw any conclusions as to where this infection came from. We simply don’t know and it is very early days,” Marshall said.

“Our primary concern at the moment is putting everyone who may have come into contact with this person into quarantine as soon as possible.”

While South Australia isn’t going into lockdown, there will be level 4 restrictions introduced to try and control the outbreak in its early days.

From 11.59pm tonight, Monday 19 July:

  • The one person to every four square metres limit is back for all venues.
  • Private gatherings including weddings and funerals are now capped at 10 people.
  • All team and contact sport is to be cancelled.
  • No dancing or singing is allowed at venues, and all dining is to be seated and outdoors.
  • Masks are mandatory in all public outlets including shopping centres, as well as on public transport, in rideshares, and in places where social distancing isn’t possible (excluding schools and offices).
  • Working from home is strongly encouraged.
  • Fitness centres and non-essential retail outlets must close.
  • Supermarkets, pharmacies and other essential businesses can remain open.
  • Schools are to remain open.

“We only have one chance to get this right. Our focus from day one has been to go hard and to go early to minimise the level of disruption,” Marshall said regarding the new restrictions.

“We’ve got to respond quickly.”

You can see a list of South Australia’s exposure sites here.