QLD Police have detailed more horrific details in the case of the 22-year-old British backpacker, found by police after reportedly being held captive and raped over a period of 2 months.

The young woman was discovered by police this past Sunday afternoon, after filling up a car with petrol and driving off without paying from a petrol station at Mitchell in central QLD.

Police caught up to the vehicle a short while later and, after questioning the woman, discovered a man hiding in a secret alcove of the car. He was subsequently taken into custody and charged with a number of offences, including rape, assault, depravation of liberty, and obstructing police.

In a press briefing on the case this afternoon, police confirmed that the British woman’s ordeal had begun on January 2nd, when she and her captor left Cairns. Over the course of the ensuing two months the pair reportedly travelled extensively throughout Queensland, where the accused man allegedly committed a series of offences on the woman, which included depravation of liberty and sexual assault.

A police spokesman confirmed that the pair had had a “prior relationship” that at some point had gone sour, at which point the accused man took the woman captive and her 2-month ordeal began.

It was also confirmed that the backpacker was suffering injuries that included facial fractures, scratches and abrasions to her neck area, along with other bruising. Police asserted that the case is being considered as a domestic violence-related issue.

Authorities also noted that circumstances surrounding the her physical location, as well as limited opportunity, provided little chance for the backpacker to make an escape at any point prior to being picked up by police on Sunday:

“We don’t want to speculate but it is fair to say that she is a tourist. A lot of the areas where she would’ve been would’ve been unknown to her, and she wouldn’t have known anyone there. So it would’ve been difficult for her to make an escape, and if she had then to try and link up with people.”

“From the information we’ve been provided she had very limited opportunity to try and do that anyway.”

Detective Inspector Paul Hart noted that the ordeal endured by the 22-year-old woman was quite significant, and that she was considering returning home to the UK as a result.

“We would certainly say that what’s happened to this lady is quite catastrophic so there are numerous supports that are being put in place to help her out during through this period.”

Meanwhile, a petrol station attendee in Mitchell is being praised for having the initiative to follow the car in order to take down its registration plate, after the distressed woman filled the car up and drove off without paying.

The 22-year-old man accused of perpetrating this horrific ordeal was remanded in custody to appear in court at a later date.

Source: ABC News.

Photo: Google Maps.