Parramatta Shooting: Police Heard “Chatter” In Week Leading Up To Attack

Further details have emerged of the fatal shooting at NSW Police Headquarters in Parramatta yesterday, in which a police employee was murdered by a gunman who himself was subsequently shot and killed by officers. 

Police say that the attack, which occurred at 4.30pm Friday, was “targeted”, and that the gunman walked past a female officer before shooting the civilian employee, an IT worker, at point-blank range. 
NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione has sine made a statement about the incident, calling the death of the employee a callous crime”, and saying: 
“An employee of the NSW Police Force has been callously murdered. I viewed a number of pieces of footage. I can tell you this was a brutal crime. A terrible crime.”

“We don’t know the motive and we don’t yet know who the gunman is but he has committed an appalling act of brutality. Obviously this is a very distressing time for us all as we investigate all the circumstances.” 

“Currently we are attempting to identify a man who was seen to approach the victim and discharge a single shot.”

Scipione praised officers for their response, saying: “In viewing video footage, I have witnessed enormous bravery by those special constables who responded. They were brave and they were professional.”

A source has said that police increased “chatter” about a possible attack on Parramatta HQ in the week leading up to the incident, and that officers had been ordered to wear guns at all times, “even while at their desks.”

Scipione has said that security arrangements around this weekend’s NRL grand final will be reviewed, but that people should go about their business as normal, telling media:
“My message to people across NSW is that there is nothing to fear. Go about your business including this weekend’s major sporting events. We will do our job and get to the bottom of what has happened.”,
Anyone with any information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

via Fairfax / NSW Police