The parents of the toddler killed at Disney World in Florida by an alligator have released a statement saying they will not take legal action.
Lane Graves, who was two years old, was dragged into the water near Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa by an alligator and drowned last month. His father attempted to wrestle the alligator, but said he was attacked by a second alligator during his attempts to rescue his child.
Parents Matt and Melissa, who come from Omaha in Nebraska, have released a statement saying they just want to focus on their family’s health and wellbeing, and so will not sue Disney World for the death of their son.
“Melissa and I are broken. We will forever struggle to comprehend why this happened to our sweet baby, Lane.
As each day passes, the pain gets worse, but we truly appreciate the outpouring of sympathy and warm sentiments we have received from around the world.
We know that we can never have Lane back, and therefore, we intend to keep his spirit alive through the Lane Thomas Foundation. It is our hope that through the foundation we will be able to share with others the unimaginable love Lane etched in our hearts.
In addition to the foundation, we will solely be focused on the future health of our family and will not be pursuing a lawsuit against Disney. For now, we continue to ask for privacy as we focus on our family.”
— WDW News Today (@WDWNT) July 20, 2016
A spokesperson for the Graves family, Sara Brady, wouldn’t comment on whether any kind of financial settlement had been arranged between Disney and the family. She said,
“The family is really focused on just moving forward and healing.”
The Lane Thomas Fund, which will donate to charitable organisations to honour Lane’s memory, can be seen here: www.omahagives24.org/lanethomasfund
Source: KETV Omaha.