Nine people have been slapped with $1,000 fines, and three more will also be fined, after they left Sydney’s locked-down Northern Beaches to be at a wedding in Pyrmont, near the CBD.
Police arrived at the wedding, reportedly held at Doltone House, at around 5 PM on Sunday after someone dobbed the guests in to Crime Stoppers. It turned out “more than a dozen” of the guests were from the Northern Beaches.
“After speaking with staff and attendees, police recorded contact details for more than a dozen guests, who are Northern Beaches residents,” a spokesperson for NSW Police said.
The guests who were ultimately fined were aged between 19 and 64, and came from the suburbs of Allambie Heights, Beacon Hill, Frenches Forest and Narraweena.
While these areas are not in the northern zone near Palm Beach which is under a stricter lockdown, current regulations still mean they’re not allowed to leave the Northern Beaches.
At the moment, up to 300 people are allowed at weddings in greater Sydney, although no more than 20 people are allowed on the dancefloor, if there is one.
“When most of NSW, indeed most of Australia, is doing the right thing, I would say to those people half contemplating doing anything stupid in the next few days, forget it,” NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Monday.
Earlier on Monday, Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced that the lockdown in the southern part of the Northern Beaches – the same area where the fined weddings guests were from – has been extended until at least January 2.
The stay-at-home order for the northern zone of the Northern Beaches was also extended until at least January 9.