Quick MH370 status check: still definitely not found.
Two and a half months and millions of dollars later, searchers are still no closer to finding the resting place of the Malaysia Airlines flight, which disappeared on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew on board.
A triangle of water in the Indian Ocean considered the most likely location of the plane’s wreckage has now been ruled out, as the Australian Transport Safety Bureau today declared the submarine search complete. In a media statement it said Bluefin-21 had completed its final sweep of the underwater area, and “The data collected on yesterday’s mission has been analysed. As a
result, the JACC can advise that no signs of aircraft debris have been
found by the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle since it joined the search
The announcement closely follows a CNN interview with the US Navy’s deputy director of ocean engineering, who said the pings previously believed to be emanating from MH370’s black box flight recorder were now considered to have come from a source unrelated to the plane.
The Australian government earmarked $90 million of budget funds over two years for the search but has come under fire for its handling of the investigation, with marine scientists accusing Prime Minister Tony Abbott of playing politics and calling the operation a “debacle”.
Image via MANAN VATSYAYANA for AFP