The lockdown-abiding citizens of Melbourne dobbed in around 1,800 public gatherings for supposedly breaching lockdown restrictions over the weekend, Victoria’s top cop has revealed.

Speaking to the 3AW radio station on Tuesday, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton said there were almost 1,000 reports on Sunday alone.

“People have been very good in terms of raising awareness to us of where there are large public gatherings,” he said.

While he didn’t specify what kinds of gatherings they were, if past lockdowns around the country are anything to go by, there were probably a fair few unlawful parties in the mix.

The crackdown comes in the wake of an engagement party held last week where 69 people attended. So far nine of them have tested positive for COVID-19 and authorities fear it may become a superspreader event.

At the gathering, the groom joked that it was perfectly legal because it was a “group therapy session”.

However now the family members (who are Jewish) have been copping a torrent of anti-Semitic abuse after some people used the public’s justifiable anger as a shield for outright racism.

From Tuesday, Melbourne’s stay-at-home order has been ramped up to include a curfew between 9pm and 5am.

The restrictions mean you can’t have any guests over aside from your intimate partner or, if you’re single, your bubble buddy. Children’s playgrounds have also been closed under the new rules.

People busted breaching Melbourne’s lockdown restrictions could cop a $1,817 fine, or a $10,904 fine for businesses.

So you’ve been warned – no parties or else you’ll probs get dobbed in (and a big fucken fine to boot).

Image: Getty Images / Asanka Ratnayake