New footage released today by News Corp, allegedly showing Russian Rebels sifting through debris and luggage in the aftermath of the MH17 tragedy, has been described as “sickening” and “disgusting” by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, on the first anniversary of the Malaysian Airlines plane being shot down in Ukraine. MH17 left no survivors among the 298 passengers and crew on board.
News Corp Australia has released footage across their verticals today as an exclusive, showing the wreckage site and passengers’ belongings. Julie Bishop has not yet verified the authenticity of the footage. “It is sickening to watch and 12 months on from the downing of MH17 it is deeply concerning that this footage has emerged now,” Julie Bishop said today.
The timing of the footage’s release was also criticised by Bishop, citing the already-emotional day ahead for victims’ families, on the first anniversary marking the tragedy. “Their grief is inconsolable and the burden of grieving and then seeing this footage will be almost too much to bear.”
Julie Bishop says she cannot verify the authenticity of new MH17 footage but says its ‘disgusting.’ http://t.co/zgQ1XU5MMY
— Sky News Australia (@SkyNewsAust) July 16, 2015
In Canberra, the Prime Minister commented on the sombre reality faced by the families of MH17 victims. “I know that nothing anyone can do can bring back their loved ones, nothing anyone can say can make it easier for them,” Tony Abbott said on ABC News this morning. “This was not just a tragedy. It was an atrocity.”
38 Australians were killed on board the Malaysian Airlines flight to Kuala Lumpur last year. Julie Bishop has announced that a second investigation into the incident will be released later this year.
At Parliament House today, flags are being flown at half-mast to honour the victims. A memorial service will be held at 11 AM.
— DeptDefenceAustralia (@DeptDefence) July 16, 2015
Angus Houston—who was knighted on Australia Day this year for leading Australia’s initial investigation into the MH17 tragedy—told ABC this week that the attack was a crime, not an accident. “I regard it not as an accident, I regard it as a crime, and I think it is very important that those who are responsible for the outrage are brought to justice.”
Overnight, Russian President Vladimir Putin called for a UN tribunal to prosecute those responsible for the missile attack; Putin continues to “dispute accusations” that a Russian-supplied Buk missile was used in the attack.
Via The Guardian.
Lead image by Pierre Crom via Getty.