Donald Trump Jr is the latest member of his family to come down with COVID-19, with a representative for the US president’s son confirming the news in a statement earlier today.
Per reports from CNN, a spokesman said:
“Don tested positive at the start of the week and has been quarantining out at his cabin since the result. He’s been completely asymptomatic so far and is following all medically recommended COVID-19 guidelines.”
Donald Trump Jr is one of many people in the president’s inner circle to have contracted the virus in recent months.
In early October, Donald Trump was hospitalised with coronavirus, while his wife Melania and teenage son Barron also contracted it.
Don Jr’s girlfriend Kimberley Guilfoyle contacted COVID earlier in the year, while a White House Rose Garden event is thought to have led to an outbreak amongst the president’s inner circle.
Rudy Giuliani‘s son Andrew Guiliani, a White House aide, also tested positive this week, and says he is following “all appropriate protocols” in quarantine.
This morning, I tested positive for COVID-19. I am experiencing mild symptoms, and am following all appropriate protocols, including being in quarantine and conducting contact tracing.
— Andrew H. Giuliani (@AndrewHGiuliani) November 20, 2020
In recent weeks, the president’s son has joined his dad in spreading misinformation about the pandemic and its ongoing, devastating impact on the United States.
In late October, he told Fox News that the number of deaths was “almost nothing”, at a time when the daily number was hovering just below 1000.
He has also been criticised for sharing memes doubting the effectiveness of masks against the spread of COVID-19.
There were 1,962 deaths recorded in the US on November 19, and 187,428 new cases, and there are concerns the virus could spike even further with Thanksgiving around the corner.