The death toll from Friday’s Christchurch terror attack has risen to 50, with a further victim, not previously accounted for by police, being discovered at a mosque.

New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush confirmed the news in a statement to the media, saying that the person was discovered after further examination of the scene.

“As of last night, we were able to take all of the victims from both of those scenes and in doing so we have located a victim,” he said, per ABC News reports.

Bush said that a further 50 people were injured in the attack, with 36 of them remaining in Christchurch Hospital and 12 of these in critical condition in the intensive care unit.

28-year-old Australian man Brenton Tarrant made a brief court appearance yesterday, charged with murder. He will appear before the court again in April.

Commissioner Bush said that several others have been arrested in connection with the terror attack, although they do not yet face charges.

“I will not be saying anything conclusive until we are absolutely convinced as to how many people were involved, but we hope to be able to give that advice over the next few days,” he said.

The first victim of the devastating Christchurch attack was named yesterday as 71-year-old Daoud Nabi, who stood at the door and welcomed the terrorist inside the mosque with a “hello brother.”

Naeem Rashid has been honoured as a hero for attempting to stop the shooter:

The New Zealand Herald has published the names of all the known terror attack victims so far. “Learn their names. Give their lives dignity. Pray for their souls,” said Yassmin Abdel-Magied in a Tweet earlier today.

Source: ABC News
Image: AAP / KYDPL KYODO