Member of every Australian festival lineup in the history of Australian festival lineups The Wombats have scored arguably the most sought-after slot on this year’s Triple J Hottest 100 (non #1 category), the prestigious #69.
The British band named for an Australian animal (who therefore spends roughly half the year out here touring it bloody well seems) scored the sex number slot for Cheetah Tongue, a cut from their 2018 album Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life.
#69 @thewombats – 'Cheetah Tongue' #Hottest100 pic.twitter.com/zEV3nMOP4N— triple j (@triplej) January 27, 2019
Because it’s never, ever, ever not funny, the internet’s almost immediate reaction has been universal: Nice.
And so on and so forth.
The historic 69 mantle is a treasured slot on the annual Triple J countdown, providing no real benefit or boost over the people who finished 70 or 68, other than affording the winner bragging rights to say they got the Sex Number slot and that is dope as hell.
The 69 slot has a rich history in the Hottest 100. For those playing along at home, we’ve listed all previous recipients of the Dinner For Two award below.
- 2017: YUNGBLUD – I Love You, Will You Marry Me
- 2016: Violent Soho – So Sentimental
- 2015: Japanese Wallpaper – Forces (ft. Airling)
- 2014: The Smith Street Band – Surrender
- 2013: Disclosure – White Noise (ft. AlunaGeorge)
- 2012: Matt Corby – Lonely Boy (Triple J Like a Version)
- 2011: Bon Iver – Calgary
- 2010: Pendulum – Watercolour
- 2009: Death Cab For Cutie – Meet Me on the Equinox
- 2008: Hot Chip – Ready For The Floor
- 2007: Digitalism – Pogo
- 2006: Beck – Nausea
- 2005: Butterfingers – Jesus I Was Evil
- 2004: Freestylers – Push Up
- 2003: Muse – Hysteria
- 2002: Coldplay – Clocks
- 2001: Unwritten Law – Up All Night (Editor’s Note: Nice)
- 2000: MxPx – Responsibility
- 1999: Nine Inch Nails – Starfuckers, Inc. (Editor’s Note: Also nice)
- 1998: Pollyanna – Cinnamon Lip
- 1997: Ween – Waving My Dick In The Wind (Editor’s Note: Jesus christ nice)
- 1996: Insurge – Speculator
- 1995: Dash Dip Rock – (Let’s Go) Smoke Some Pot
- 1994: Crash Test Dummies – Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
- 1993: Suede – Animal Nitrate
Honestly? That’s a shithot playlist right there.
You might even say it’s……..
More Stuff From PEDESTRIAN.TV
Punters Already Reckon The Wombats’ Cover Of ‘Running Up That Hill’ Will Top The Hottest 100
Cop The Entire 2018 Triple J Hottest 100 List Right Here, Right Now
Splendour’s Spin-Off Fest Drops First Lineup In 5 Years & It’s A Pearler
Triple J Drop Epic ‘Hottest 100’ Action Trailer Ft. Every Muso You Froth On