A study has revealed that more people like getting it on to Marvin Gaye‘s transparently sexual ode to doing it “Let’s Get It On”.
Spotify commissioned the research conducted by a UK neuroscientist and music psychologist, Dr Daniel Müllensiefen, to have a better understanding of how music can impact the human psyche. 2,000 men and women between the ages 18 and 91 took part in the study that revealed some REALLY fascinating insights, such as the following:
– Marvin Gaye actually scored the top TWO spots on the list of songs to ‘get in the mood’. According to Dr Müllensiefen, “The study unveiled that the best tracks for seduction in the bedroom all possess the same qualities including a greater dynamic range, more use of the high chest voice, more raspiness in the voice and less use of vocal vibrato. These specific attributes are strongly evident in the Marvin Gaye tracks, Sexual Healing and Let’s Get It On.”
And in R. Kelly’s “Bump N’ Grind”.
Top 20 tracks to get ‘in the mood’:
1. Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing
2. Marvin Gaye – Let’s Get It On
3. Barry White – Anything
4. Serge Gainsbourg- Je T`aime
5. Kings of Leon – Sex on Fire
6. Hot Chocolate- You Sexy Thing
7. Ravel – Bolero
8. Boyz To Men- I`ll Make Love To You
9. Chris De Burgh – Lady in Red
10. R Kelly- Bump & Grind
– Over 40% of people say that listening to music is more arousing than touch during sex.
– One in three people can name a track that they consider to be ‘Better than sex’.
– The top 20 (predominantly unsexy) songs that people consider ‘better than sex’ include “Paradise City” by Guns ‘n’ Roses. LOL. Agreed.
Top 20 songs considered ‘better than sex’:
1. Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Kings of Leon – Sex On Fire
3. Robbie Williams- Angels
4. Meatloaf- Bat Out Of Hell
5. Bon Jovi- Living On A Prayer
6. Celine Dion- My Heart Will Go On
7. Adele- Set Fire To The Rain
8. Black Lace- Agadoo
9. Pink Floyd- Comfortably Numb
10. Queen- Don`t Stop Me Now
11. Queen- I Want To Break Free
12. Faithless- Insomnia
13. Bruno Mars- Just The Way You Are
14. The Killers- Mr Brightside
15. Guns`N`Roses- Paradise City
16. Coldplay- Viva La Vida
17. Queen- Who Wants To Live Forever
18. Elton John – Your Song
19. Luther Vandross – Anything
20. Bruce Springsteen – Born In The USA or Born To Run
PS “Insomnia” by Faithless is better than sex?!? I like trance as much as the next person (in small irregular doses) and this song is a masterpiece in the dance music pantheon, but surely it’s not a superior alternative to an orgasm?
– Among the top 20 ‘tracks to play during sex’, coming in at #14 is Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture”. Good grief you guys.
– Coming in at #20 on the ‘tracks to play during sex’ list is Star Wars -Anything form the soundtrack. Is that with a partner, I wonder, or with hand, solo?
Interesting results, right? If you’re sexually active, you should go home this evening and put the needle on a little Tchaikovsky. Report back in the comment section.