As a ‘lovers’ trope in popular culture, Valentine’s Day is traditionally sketched out in heart-shaped chocolates, winged cupids, slow-mo sex scenes and Garry Marshall movies with Ashton Kutcher; but in reality it represents a gamut of mixed emotions. For happy couples it can mean date night and experimenting with cosplay, but others criticise it as a sad indictment of how globalization has turned love into an commercial industry for Interflora and Hallmark; those who are happily single toast their fortune of being unburdened by relationships, while unhappy singles feel personally vilified by the ubiquitous boxed chocolates and cellophane wrapped roses all up in their faces.
We asked Mayer Hawthorne to curate a Valentine’s Day Mixtape forgetting that the holiday isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. But luckily velvety soul tunes – and The Cure’s “Lovesong” – are! Mayer gave us ten tracks, explaining why each song made the cut. He’s touring Australia later this month so check the dates below.
1. “In The Mood” Tyrone Davis The illest sexytime song ever. That trumpet blast on the intro?! It’s like “bang! let’s get down to business, baby”. I want this joint to play every time I walk into a room.
2. “Love You Inside Out” The BeeGees What can I say? I’m a total sucker for a nasty, gangster groove with smooth vocals on top. It’s like Colt45 – it works every time.
3. “In Love” Prince Or any song by Prince for that matter. This one definitely makes the girls wanna purify themselves in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.
4. “That’s The Way Love Goes” Janet Janet is a bad girl. The rhythm of this joint is so hypnotic. And the bassline… it just feels like sex. Guys and girls can both agree on this one too. Everyone wins.
5. “Let’s Stay Together” Al Green I play this song after almost every show. I’ve heard it a million billion times. It doesn’t matter. It’s that good. When that intro hits, I still go “wooo!” every time.
6. “Midnight & You” Love Unlimited Orchestra The Maestro. Smooth dude with a gangster groove. Right on baby. Right on. If your girl doesn’t like Barry White, it’s time to find a new girl.
7. “Lovesong” The Cure The Cure is the shit. They were so raw with it. Robert Smith’s performance is so honest. You really feel it. It’s so simple and so good.
8. “Forever” The Marvelettes The Marvelettes are my favorite Motown group. This song was a B-side and it’s not as well known as some of their big hits, but there’s something crazy magical about it. The vocals are so beautiful, yet haunting at the same time. I ran it back 100 times when I first heard it. Bump it for your booboo and they’ll remember it “forever”.
9. “I Want You” Marvin Gaye “Let’s Get It On” is great but it’s been played to death. You ain’t no one trick pony. Throw on this infectious, funk masterpiece, crack open some Cristal, and you’re in there like swimwear.
10. “Feel Like Makin’ Love” D’Angelo Dare I say his remake of the Roberta Flack classic is better than the OG?? I’ve never met a girl in my whole life who doesn’t melt when this song comes on. Thanks D.
Listen: Mayer Hawthorne Valentine’s Day Mix:
MAYER HAWTHORNE + special guests
24th February – The Metro – Sydney
Tickets:- www.metrotheatre.com.au on sale Friday 25th November
25th February – Belvoir Amphitheatre (change of venue) w/ Erykah Badu & Fat Freddy’s Drop – Perth
Tickets:- http://www.ticketmaster.com.au – on sale now
29th February – The Corner – Melbourne
Tickets:- www.cornerhotel.com on sale Friday 25th November
1st March – The HiFi – Brisbane
Tickets:- www.thehifi.com.au on sale Friday 25th November