Junior Reporter - Business Insider Australia
Posted 8 Jan 2021
Closes 7 Feb 2021
Pedestrian Group – yep, that’s us! – is on the hunt for a Junior Reporter to join the talented editorial team behind Business Insider Australia, the local arm of one of the biggest news media companies in the world.
This is an excellent opportunity for a hungry journalist with 3+ years’ experience in a newsroom who is ready for the next challenge in their career. An impeccable news sense, experience covering breaking news and a knack for breaking down big issues for the Australian audience are all a must for this fast-paced role.
What you’ll do:
- Pitch and write at least 3 news and/or features stories each day
- Schedule both local and US content to the site’s social channels
- Translate trends on Google, Twitter, TikTok, Twitch and more to generate story ideas
- Build and maintain strong working relationships, both external and internal
- Help generate ideas for editorial series, particularly around major events
- Participate in brainstorms for commercial content as needed
Things you should have:
- 3 years’ experience in media – which can include freelancing, working the student news beat or working in a newsroom in any capacity
- Interest in and knowledge of consumer business, general news and technology in Australia
- Experience breaking down complex topics for a broad audience
- The ability to write strong, attention-grabbing headlines
- The ability to write quickly and accurately
- Excellent news judgement
- Initiative, creativity and attention to detail
- Great time management
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Experience using a CMS and social media management tools
- Willingness and flexibility to work on weekends and/or evenings as required
The role will be full-time and based out of Pedestrian Group’s HQ in Surry Hills, Sydney (and working from home to accommodate COVID-19 restrictions, when necessary).
If this sounds like your dream job, send us your CV and a cover letter outlining why you’re the perfect fit.
**About Pedestrian Group**
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.4 million Aussies per month. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker, Gizmodo and Kotaku, as well as the American Express Open Air Cinemas. It’s wholly owned by Nine, Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.
- Contact Name: Melissa Matheson
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org