Writer/Producer - VICE Australia
Posted 3 Aug 2021
Closes 25 Sep 2021
Pedestrian Group, Australia’s largest youth-focused publisher, is searching for a Writer/Producer to contribute to the next chapter for VICE Australia.
The right candidate will have their finger on the pulse of emerging issues, and be driven to break new stories that spark conversation. They will be just as comfortable picking up the phone to chase stories as they are platforming VICE Australia stories in new and engaging ways across our social media platforms.
Reporting to the Head of Editorial, the role is suited to a young, emerging journalist and producer with an excellent news sense who is looking for a unique opportunity to produce content – much of it social first – that speaks to a global youth audience and champions underreported topics. The ideal candidate will be well versed in the core VICE beats of culture, crime, drugs, food, sex, relationships, gender and identity, and will come armed with fresh ideas and angles to pitch from day one.
Alongside the rest of the editorial team, this person will be an integral part of VICE Australia as we reintroduce the world’s most influential youth media brand to the local market.
The Writer/Producer will be required to:
- Ideate and pitch stories on a daily basis that sit within the core VICE beats
- Report on, and file, several larger stories per week that resonate with VICE’s global audience
- File 2-3 short news stories per day, adhering to VICE’s trademark tone of voice – funny, fresh, and informative
- Publish stories direct to VICE Australia’s social media channels, brainstorming new ways to tell stories through those platforms.
- Appear on camera and provide voiceover work for documentaries and podcasts as required
- Champion and chase Australian stories that will sit well within the wider VICE brand
The position calls for someone with:
- A Bachelor’s degree in media, communications, or journalism (preferred, but not mandatory)
- 1-2 years experience working in a fast-paced newsroom
- A proven track record of sound reporting, and a passion for ethical media and journalistic best practice
- A unique tone or point of view
- Experience producing different forms of media, not just written articles
- Experience in optimising stories for SEO
- Experience producing content for, and posting to, Facebook and Instagram via business profiles
This role is a full-time position, and will be based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney or Melbourne.
To apply, please send us the following:
- A cover letter in your best understanding of the VICE tone of voice
- Your CV
- Any relevant examples of your past work
We can’t wait to meet you!
*About VICE Media Group*
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices across 25 countries across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency. VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; and i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture and design.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It’s wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.