Multimedia Editor - VICE Australia
Posted 5 Aug 2021
Closes 25 Sep 2021
Pedestrian Group, Australia’s largest youth-focused publisher, is searching for a Multimedia Editor to contribute to the next chapter with VICE Australia.
Reporting directly to the Head of Editorial, the Multimedia Editor will be responsible for writing, curating and ‘sweating’ (i.e. distributing) content across all VICE Australia’s social media platforms, managing the programming strategy, writing content that lives its best life as an Instagram carousel, turning articles produced by both yourself and other members of the team for the .com into dynamic and engaging social media content and more.
Our ideal candidate will be as passionate about unearthing and writing stories that hit core VICE Australia beats (including culture, crime, drugs, food, sex, relationships, gender and identity) as they are a pro at at bringing them to life across a multitude of platforms, both existing and emerging – Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook, TikTok and beyond.
The Multimedia Editor will be required to:
- Pitch and write content for both the VICE Australia site and its various social channels – including but not limited to Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook and TikTok – while adhering to journalistic best practices. This includes ensuring Paid Partnership best practices are upheld at all times, where relevant
- Identify opportunities where a story may, in fact, work better as a social-first execution – for example, an Instagram carousel or Snapchat video series – and bring them to life in hyper-engaging ways
- Manage the programming strategy for VICE Australia’s existing – and future – social channels, which includes writing, designing, editing, scheduling and posting VICE Australia content across all social channels with a view of driving new levels of audience and engagement
- Take the lead in figuring out which new and emerging platforms make strategic sense for VICE Australia to expand into
- Stay on top of developing trends, best practices, and organisational shifts on existing platforms, and be able to interpret and relay these to the team
- Track and analyse data to help inform platform strategy
- Ideate and pitch new social-lead initiatives and series in collaboration with the Studio team, and provide feedback for social-lead video production as needed
- Appear on camera as required
The position calls for someone with:
- A Bachelor’s degree in media, communications, journalism, or design (preferred, but not mandatory)
- 2-3 years experience in social media management working across platforms such as Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube, preferably in in a newsroom environment
- Excellent writing skills and a passion for ethical, alternative media
- A design eye and proven skill creating assets in Canva, Photoshop and/or Illustrator
- Experience managing workflow, particularly across social media platforms
- Strong familiarity with analytics
- Experience in optimising stories for SEO
- A deep appreciation for the VICE brand and the role it plays in culture
This role is a full-time position, and will be based out of Pedestrian Group’s offices in either Sydney or Melbourne.
To apply, please send us the following:
- Your CV
- A cover letter in your best understanding of the VICE tone of voice
- A portfolio of relevant past work examples
We can’t wait to meet you!
*About VICE Media Group*
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices across 25 countries across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency. VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; and i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture and design.
*About Pedestrian Group*
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.16 million Aussies per month, and more 18 to 39-year-olds than any other publisher. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, VICE Australia, Refinery29 Australia, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker Australia, Gizmodo Australia, and Kotaku Australia, as well as Open Air Cinemas. It’s wholly owned by Nine Entertainment Co., Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.