Posted 25 Mar 2019
Closes 24 Apr 2019
Do you care deeply about the cultural life of your city and how it evolves, from dumpling joints to arts festivals to new public spaces and infrastructure? Do you love crafting compelling digital content that delivers a story worth spending time with? Do you have superb project management and production skills, razor-sharp attention to detail and more ideas than you know what to do with?
Concrete Playground is seeking a Melbourne editor to work with us on a freelance basis. And if you answered yes to a sizeable chunk of the above, you may just be the person we’re looking for.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Working closely with our Sydney-based editors, you’ll write, edit and produce intelligent and engaging content for Concrete Playground Melbourne. With an ear to the ground and an unparalleled knowledge of what’s going on in Melbourne, you’ll be the first out of the gate with breaking news, develop thoughtful and interesting features and manage our restaurant, bar and events directories. Fastidious sub-editing will be a pillar of your day, as will making images, text, video and links work together as a happy whole. You’ll need to be able to operate independently while working with Concrete Playground’s editorial team to meet deadlines and traffic targets.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Writing fast-turnaround news that is intelligent, accurate, on-brand and error-free
- Commissioning and producing insightful and timely features
- Managing Concrete Playground Melbourne’s place and event directories
- Building relationships with local organisations and publicists
- Assisting with social media
- Assisting with the execution of Concrete Playground’s editorial strategy
- A university degree
- At least two years of experience in the online news media environment
- A demonstrated ability to write intelligent, witty copy in Concrete Playground’s style
- Knowledge of fact-checking and basic copyright requirements
- Solid sub-editing skills and ability to work with a style guide
- Experience working with a content management system (preferably WordPress)
- A good eye for images and skills with image production (preferably Photoshop)
- Superb project and personal management skills
- Knowledge of social media best practices
- Expertise and ability to research effectively on the topics of local cultural life, current affairs, food, drink, pop culture, travel, technology, sustainability, design, fashion, film and the arts
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter, CV, links to 3-4 relevant online writing samples, and 2-3 feature ideas to [email protected] with Melbourne editor application in the subject line.
- Contact Name: Lauren Vadnjal
- Contact Email: [email protected]
Applications for this job can't be accepted as the job has closed.