Editor - Lifehacker Australia
Posted 17 Sep 2020
Closes 17 Oct 2020
Pedestrian Group – yep, that’s us! – is on the hunt for an experienced writer/editor to lead Lifehacker Australia.
Lifehacker Australia is the local outpost of the global juggernaut of the same name, which informs and inspires millions each month with its irreverent how-to guides, life hacks and explainers on important issues and trends.
With a broad remit across lifestyle, news, technology, entertainment and culture, this position requires a hands-on generalist who has their finger on the pulse of the world around them.
The successful candidate will help redefine the local strategy of Lifehacker, set the editorial agenda for the site, edit stories from a more junior writer and write multiple posts a day.
A deep understanding of SEO is required, while a knowledge of affiliate content is highly regarded.
What you’ll do:
- Write, assign and edit multiple stories a day
- Understand and use SEO best practices
- Stay across topics trending on Google and social to craft the daily editorial agenda based on this data
- Distribute local and US stories via social media
- Localise stories that come over from Lifehacker US where appropriate
- Work with editorial leadership to execute on a redefined strategy for the Lifehacker brand
- Understand the levers you need to pull to grow an engaged audience in Australia in the 18 to 35-year-old demo
- Help build a distributed audience across social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Google
- Suggest changes to editorial strategy in accordance with data from a constantly-evolving audience and SEO algorithm developments
- Provide editorial leadership with monthly reporting across site and social networks to track what is and isn’t working
- Be a brand ambassador online and offline for the Lifehacker brand
Things you should have:
- At least 2 years’ experience as a senior writer or editor
- The ability to write confidently across multiple verticals: lifestyle, news, technology, entertainment, culture and more
- The ability to write spicy, attention-grabbing headlines
- Expert-level knowledge of SEO best practices in regards to content creation
- Experience working to tight deadlines and the ability to write quickly and accurately
- A deep understanding of social media platforms
- A strong interest, or experience in, audience growth, conversion and analytics
- Willingness and flexibility to work on weekends and/or evenings as required
The role will be full-time and based out of Pedestrian Group’s HQ in Surry Hills, Sydney (once COVID-19 retreats enough for us to return safely).
If this sounds like your dream job, send us your CV and a cover letter outlining why you’re the perfect fit today.
**About Pedestrian Group**
Pedestrian Group is Australia’s leading youth-centred publisher, reaching a unique audience of more than 4.7 million Aussies per month. It’s home to PEDESTRIAN.TV, Business Insider Australia, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Kotaku and PopSugar, as well as the American Express Open Air Cinemas. It’s wholly owned by Nine, Australia’s largest and most diverse media company.