Education Programs Producer and Instructor Manager
Posted 14 Feb 2020
Closes 15 Mar 2020
Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers through pioneering, experiential education in today’s most in-demand skills. As featured in The Economist, Wired, and The New York Times, GA offers training in web development, data, design, business, and more, both online and at campuses around the world. Our global professional community boasts 40,000 alumni — and counting.
In addition to fostering career growth for individuals, GA helps employers cultivate top tech talent and spur innovation by transforming their teams through strategic learning. More than 21,000 employees at elite companies worldwide have honed their digital fluency with our corporate training programs. GA has also been recognised as one of Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, and Fast Company has dubbed us leaders in World-Changing Ideas as well as the #1 Most Innovative Company in Education.
We cater to tremendous demand for these programs, with best-of-the-bunch instructors, and we need a smart and capable person to help us run new and better courses and support high-quality learning experiences.
The Role: Education Programs Producer | Instructor Manager
General Assembly’s success depends on the passion and quality of our instructional teams, which are made up of top industry professionals from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design. This role is to hire, coach and support these individuals as they deliver effective instruction.
Working in close partnership with local and Global teams, the Education Programs Producer will ensure that GA classrooms are staffed with the right mix of instructors who are eager and ready to share their expertise with our students.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Campus Operations & Instruction, the Producer will be responsible for managing several GA courses. You will have a key role in running multiple processes for each course, including:
- Instructor Recruiting: Sourcing talented instructors and experts is the key to developing great education programs. The Producer will leverage General Assembly’s community and network—and will plug into existing design, tech and business communities—to source and evaluate the right people for the job.
- Instructor Management and Development: Once hired, the Producer will work very closely with the instructional team to manage the team through onboarding, feedback and support leading up to and during the program. The Producer ensures the instructors are invested in the success of the program, teach effectively and feel supported by GA. The Producer will also facilitate ongoing professional development in order to build more consistent best practices among instructional teams.
- Program Execution and Budget Management: The Producer manages all aspects of program execution and isn’t afraid to get his or her hands dirty. From making sure the instructors show up on time to checking the A/V to writing copy and coordinating with our Admissions Team on pre-course events, the Producer ensures everything is in place. The Producer also maintains the budget for the program.
- Strategic Guidance and Team Contribution: General Assembly is a young, fast-growing company, and strategic decisions need to be made on the fly. As a Producer in charge of specific programs, you will have a hand in those decisions, including contributing feedback on course materials and program execution. You will work closely with other team members (including Admissions, Marketing, Outcomes) to ensure program success, and contribute resources, ideas and new best practices to the Global Operations Team.
You will be working at the centre of a global technology ecosystem. You will have the opportunity to interact with some of the smartest developers, designers, data professionals and entrepreneurs on a daily basis!
Some background in startups, technology or education is a big plus, but it isn’t a must. In fact, it’s more important to us that you bring enthusiasm and smarts. You thrive in a fast-paced environment where each day looks different and responsibilities evolve quickly.
You are an Entrepreneur at Heart. You prefer the opportunity that comes from being part of a small team to the predictability that comes with larger organisations. You are not afraid of getting your hands dirty, diving into the weeds to understand your business to its core—yet you maintain the vision that keeps your team inspired. You are able to multi-task and enjoy wearing many hats and expanding your responsibilities. You are proactive and comfortable working with minimal supervision
You are Collaborative but Self-Directed. You enjoy brainstorming with others, but are independent and resourceful, requiring minimal guidance. You are not possessive of ideas or thin-skinned when it comes to critique. At the same time, you know how to deliver constructive feedback to others, and possess a strong point of view.
You are Professional and Positive. You maintain a positive and professional demeanour in challenging situations, and have great written and verbal communication skills. You are comfortable with a bit of ambiguity, and have a keen willingness to learn people management and coaching, and in hiring and building teams.
You are Unafraid of Failure. You believe that prototyping is the quickest way to kick the tires on an idea, and enjoy engaging in discussions around your work with members of the education team, colleagues from other verticals, and users. You learn new processes quickly and accurately.
You are Highly Organised. When it comes to workflow, you take pride in your organisational skills. You feel comfortable working with cross-functional partner staff as well as internal personnel—including education experts, technologists, and designers. That is, you see your role as not only implementing programs, but also coordinating all necessary parties externally and internally to get the job done. You are tech and system savvy and are familiar with Google Suite.
You have Emotional Intelligence. At GA, you are constantly dealing with complex and delicate personal stories. As a self-aware individual you know when to listen and when to provide advice. You are able to empathise with anyone and can handle other people’s stress. You generally are optimistic about outcomes and enjoy making friends with new people. You can be reflective when something hasn’t gone as planned and adapt quickly to get back on course.
- Strategic Hiring and Staffing
- Managerial Courage
- Priority Setting
- Dealing with Ambiguity
- Contact Name: Mikaela Squirchuk
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org