Hey, so if you happened to be hanging out for that stand-alone Boba Fett movie directed by James Mangold of Logan, then we have some bad news for you, as Disney and Lucasfilm appear to have pulled the plug on it all together.
The story was broken by reporter Erick Weber, who recently spoke with the head of Lucasfilm, and said: “Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed to me Boba Fett movie is 100% dead, 100% focusing on The Mandalorian.”
Kathleen Kennedy just confirmed to me Boba Fett movie is 100% dead, 100% focusing on THE MANDALORIAN #StarWars— ???????????????? (@ErickWeber) October 26, 2018
The Mandalorian is a TV series that is planned for Disney’s stand-alone streaming service. Jon Favreau, who is executive producing the series, has been sharing a lot of teaser images for it on social media, and recently revealed the plot description:
“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another hero emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic …”
The series reportedly has a sky-high budget, as well as some big-name directors attached and the seal of approval from George Lucas himself, so I guess it makes sense that Disney would decide to pour a lot of time and resources into getting it right.
Prior to the release of Solo, Disney and Lucasfilm seemed keen on pumping out as many Star Wars-themed movies as physically possible, but that film’s relatively poor box office performance may have put those plans on hold.
Solo made just under $400 million worldwide when it was released earlier this year, less than half of what Rogue One pulled in at the end of 2016, and not even enough for it to crack the top ten movies internationally.
In the wake of Solo, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that fans could expect to see a “slowdown” in the number of Star Wars films, so this is a likely result of that.